Saturday, September 4, 2010

Researching Pappy in Montana--9-4-10

We left Reed Point, MT this morning and headed to Hardin and Crow Agency. Saw a flock of wild turkeys close by in a field we passed early on in the morning and all day still saw lots of pronghorn antelope. They love the fields of growing green alfalfa--you see these white spots and know what they are before you get close.

Hardin is a town just before you get to Crow Agency and I thought maybe they might have a museum or something that I might do some research on my grandfather. My grandfather Stegner worked in the town of Crow Agency when he was 23 in 1910. He was a telegrapher for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railway Company and the reason I know this is because my brother gave me information and because I found a copy of a train order dated Aug. 16, 1910 with his signature in my genealogy papers. Sure enough there was the Hardin Historical Museum with lots of buildings and stuff outside and other things inside. One sweet little lady lead me to the backroom where they kept the old newspapers. The oldest book was from 1908-1910 but didn't find anything in them; however, she knew a gentleman who used to work for the railroad. Unfortunately he had just moved to Nebraska but his son-in-law was supposed to be up here delivering watermelons, squash,etc. yesterday. We found him by phone at a local store and he stopped by the museum on his way out of town. Not only did we buy 2 melons to take to MN for the reunion and an acorn squash for me but the ladies in the museum were happy also because they hadn't gotten any as of yet. We told him about my grandfather and what I was doing and he took our card to give to his father-in-law. That was a very interesting stop.

We headed into town to go back to the interstate and to DQ for lunch; however, we didn't turn where we were supposed to and ended up going the opposite direction on a narrow county road. After a few miles we finally found a road to the interstate and back to DQ.

We headed toward Crow Agency and went into their downtown(barely). I think this is almost totally an Indian town. I went into the local store and told her what I was doing and ask for any really old people 90-100+ and after some discussion with others in the store they sent me to the local nursing home. I bet they don't suffer from all the dimentia that we white people do. Anyway I had the opportunity to speak with a lovely lady of 94 years named Winona Plenty Hoops. She is almost totally blind but so sweet. Again didn't really learn anything regarding my grandfather but we had the nicest conversation and she was telling me about her grandfather and where they lived in Lodge Grass and how they came to live there. They were getting ready to play Bingo so I had to quit talking because we were in the same room but she asked me if I was going to be around for a few days but I had to tell her no and she said that was too bad. She would like to talk more. I didn't learn much the whole day but sure had a great time.

The railroad now is called Burlington Northern Santa Fe. I have to discover how to get in touch with them. Tonight we are parked in a WalMart in Gillette, WY

No comments:

Post a Comment