Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Time in Portland & around Oregon--Aug.14-18

Bob found a really good deal at the truck stop for washing and putting rainX all over the coach so he and Raymond went and had that done. It certainly looks better. On Saturday evening Penny, Ray, Bob and I went to see the movie Salt and afterwards they showed us around the town. We went into a hotel that has a balcony on the 8th floor outside their bar. It was really beautiful looking at all the lights. While we were in the bar with Penny and Ray there was a guy who came over and asked Bob if she was Judge Judy. She says that she gets that a lot. We went from there to another spot that serves drinks and warm Gorgonzola cheesecake with bread. This was one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth. This was about 11 p.m. We made one more spot that they wanted to show us. It was a good restaurant but not serving by that time but it also had a bar and music and the place was hopping. We just hung around for a few minutes and they said Hi to some people they knew and we went home. Needless to say, the next morning we slept late.

On Sunday I washed clothes and tried to collect all our stuff and put it back in the coach so we could leave on Monday. I've also been going thru old mail but not doing much on the computer. We also drove over to Derek and Mike's house for dinner. We ordered Thai food which was real good and Penny had made a fresh peach cobbler for dessert. I was in the back seat holding it and trying to keep it level and not spill it all the way over. I was so glad to get there and never spilled a bit. I took my computer and Mike showed me how to do a few things with my pictures which really helped me.

I went to the eye Dr. on Mon. morning early and he gave me a good report, but I could already tell that it was getting better. My eye is no longer blurry--thank you Lord--but I will see him again on the 24th to see if maybe I can cut back on the medication I am taking. After getting back to Penny's we hooked up the car and left for Coburg near Eugene for the coach repairs and maintenance. Coburg is the location of one of the manufacturing plants for diesel Monaco coaches and some trailers they make. We also took a tour of the plant and learned about all the new things they are doing since being bought out by Navistar. They started work on our coach on Tues. morning.

Today we went over to the town of Sisters which is toward Bend, Oregon. Dee and Marvin are there and we were going to spend some time with them. It took longer than we expected to get there because one of the roads is a scenic byway and it is really twisty and going up to over 5000 ft. and back down. It was a beautiful drive and we went thru where the Belknap Crater had exploded 1700 years ago and there was all this black lava rock for about 20 miles. We didn't know about it before hand. It was truly something to see and still not much growing throughout the area. They still have some things to do on the coach so we will still be here for a few days because when they are done we go across the road to a Cummins shop to change the oil and filters. We also want to see Deven and his family again and see where they live in Eugene which is very near here.

No comments:

Post a Comment