Sunday, June 13, 2010

Oliver,B.C.--June 11, 2010

Trying to get on line is real frustrating. I thought with my new broadband I would be fine, but at least in Canada I need to extend my service. Under my program at home my time on line is unlimited, but if I went for this other extended service when I went back off of it I would have to go to a limited plan so we are not doing that; therefore, I have to us the camps wifi if they have it and if you are parked in the right place so that explains my absence.

While in Oliver which is in the Okanagan Valley where all the wineries and fruit is grown we went on a tour that took us to 2 wineries where we also could enjoy tasting and of course buying if you were so inclined. The first one was owned by 2 brothers and one of them explained a lot about how wine growing has changed there as well as in North America due to people's taste, pests and trade laws and then he took us into the area of the stainless steal vats and explained that whole process. Very informational. The second winery uses mostly fruit and combines some with grapes. The lady had us all sit down in a large semi-circle on chairs and we tasted approximately 6 or 7 wines. She also told us how she came to that in this area. She and her husband lived in Vancouver and he found this property and this was his dream, I think. She is Romanian and came from a family who was very familiar with wine making. Within, I think, the first 3 years her husband and another wine maker were checking his vats and was overcome by carbon monoxide and fell into the vats and died. Right about the same time one of her two sons was in an accident and is now a quadropolegic (sp) and lives in Vancouver. Her other son left Vancouver and came to help her with the winery as well as 2 sisters and her Mother. They all live in this big house they are slowly finishing. The house is surrounded by rose bushes that all have a fragrance. They grow huge flowers up here. Her story and what she has done since is quite touching. We then went to an outdoor market. That evening we went to a Greek/Italian Restaurant for dinner, all of us and the food was delicious.

We stayed at the Desert Gem RV Resort right in Oliver. Very nice place.

No comments:

Post a Comment